Maranatha!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!

2 Samuel 7:12 (New International Version)

When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom.

~~~

The history of Father's Day goes like, in 1909 , Spokane, Washington, Sonora Smart Dodd was listening to a Mother's Day sermon. The lecture inspired her to have a special day dedicated to her father, William Jackson Smart, who had brought her up and her siblings single-handedly after their mother died.

She could realize the greatness of her father and wanted to let him know how deeply she was touched by his sacrifices, courage, selflessness and love. She held the first Father's Day celebration on 19th of June 1910, on the birthday of her father.

The idea soon caught on and in 1924, President Calvin Coolidge supported the idea of a national Father's Day on the petition sent to him by Dodd on the acceptance of fatherhood. In 1926, a National Father's Day Committee was formed in New York City.

***
"The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get." - Tim Russert

***
"I've had a hard life, but my hardships are nothing against the hardships that my father went through in order to get me to where I started." - Bartrand Hubbard
***
"By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong. " -Charles Wadsworth
***
"I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father's protection."- Sigmund Freud
***
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years. " - Mark Twain
***
"The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." - Anonymous

***
"To her the name of father was another name for love." - Fanny Fern

***
"Small boys become big men through the influence of big men who care about small boys." - Anonymous

No comments:

BibleGateway

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page

Buy a Bible and support BibleGateway.com Every Bible purchased at GospelDirect.com supports BibleGateway.com Go to the top of the page Your donations keep the Bible Gateway going Contact us/Feedback Privacy policy Terms of use

newsroom

My Favorite Videos

html hit counter